Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Going Green?

So I've been thinking about how we can do our part for the environment. They say even the littlest everyday changes can help make a difference so I figured I would start small. I bought 3 reusable shopping bags at the grocery store the other day. I must say, I felt great walking out of there! However, there are at least three problems that I can foresee:

1. Problem: Remembering to 'restock' the car with the bags.

Solution: I'd probably do much better by having more than three bags. So it's definitely in the cards to buy some more bags.

2. Problem: Stashing those smelly diapers. Normally, we use a Diaper Champ upstairs which is great...upstairs (It does, unfortunately, use a plastic trash bag. I'll address this later.). However, when I'm downstairs with both boys and trying to get out the door and one of them needs a change, I don't run upstairs to change them. I change them downstairs, place the diaper in a plastic bag and throw it in the pantry trashcan. So, how do I continue this routine without using the plastic bag?

Solution: Make a cinchsack type bag from an old cotton Tshirt. Load up smelly diapers until the the trash is ready to go out and then empty the cinchsack. If the cinchsack starts smelling, throw it in the washer.

3. Problem: Cleaning up the dog's poop from the backyard (not that I do this particular chore!) or when we go on walks.

Solution: Biodegradable Poop Bags? I haven't done much research yet but I'm pretty sure they're available.

All of this plastic bag stuff got me thinking...it's not just the plastic bags from the grocery store. It's also the plastic garbage bags we use and it's the diapers made of plastic that we use and discard numerous times a day and the....oh my. This going green stuff is VERY overwhelming.

Maybe I'll start with light bulbs instead...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Buying more than three bags doesn't help. I can't tell you how many I have. If I remember to put them in the car, I walk into the store without them. I remember when I am checking out. Now what to do? Buy more? Being green takes more than wanting to be green. It takes a brain that functions in overdrive.