Thursday, December 18, 2008

Huge, Huge...



HUGE night for us tonight. We officially have a BIG BOY in the house! (Tears streaming down my face...) We're officially in the BIG BOY bed!!!





It wasn't supposed to happen TONIGHT! Aunt Cathy and Uncle Kenny are visiting tonight so we were supposed to start the big boy bed TOMORROW night. I prepared myself for the big boy bed TOMORROW night! However, Connor decided to, once again, escape the confines of his crib tonight. So I went back up and we had 'the talk.' You know, the 'you're-a-big-boy-now' talk. We read a book and he went right down - in his big-boy bed. (Though we did hear a few peeps out of him for a good half hour after that.) This was how we found him when we went to bed....Uggh, it's all happening so fast.


On another note, we had Connor's speech evaluation today. I must say, I was definitely more worried about this than I let on to be (though I may not have hidden this as well as I thought!). I don't think I realized this until today AFTER the evaluation, the 4 'evaluators' were sitting on my living room floor and said to me, "Ok, we're ready to give you the diagnosis." I sit down and they explain all these numbers and bell curves and stuff. I hear the words above-average, average, mildly and severely delayed and my stomach is doing flip flops thinking to myself, well, which one is he? The last thing they say is "And so, Connor does NOT meet our requirements for the 'Program'." I tell you, I had to fight back the tears. I yelled, "Yes! Thank GOD!" and then? awkward silence, smiles frozen in place from the four of them. And I say to them, "Well, I shouldn't WANT your help for him, right?" And they all start laughing at me and the speech therapist says to me, "Exactly! This a very, very good thing." Phhhewwww. I felt such relief, I can't even explain it. So in short, he's just a little behind in his language but hugely ahead in his 'understanding' of language. So basically when we tell him to clean up or to stop doing something, he TOTALLY understands what we're saying, just completely chooses to ignore it. Ha ha. As for language, it will come. He's right there on the cusp and one day we'll roll our eyes and wish for him to stop talking, I'm sure:)


Two HUGE developments for Connor and one HUGE sigh of relief from Mommy and Daddy!


As for Andrew....


well, he's found his tongue. Yes, all of our recent pictures are of him and his tongue. So enjoy our latest picture taken tonight!


No comments: