Monday, February 23, 2009

The Father/Husband of the Year Award...

officially goes to Keith after this past weekend. Whoa! What a weekend it's been!

It all started last Wednesday. Andrew got sick around 10pm. Keith gave him a bath and I changed the sheets. Then around 4am we were woken up by Connor who had also gotten sick. Again, Keith gave him a bath and I had the sheets, floor and Lysol duty. Thursday came and went with no issues. On Friday I noticed Connor wasn't really eating, actually, downright refusing to eat. I kept thinking to myself that it's probably his darn ear again so I was trying to hold out for the follow up appointment we had scheduled for Monday.

Friday night I sat down to work while Keith was bathing the boys. He came down to hand me Andrew and just as he was doing that, he got sick. Not a minute later and Connor was getting sick. We both looked at each other and said, "What the heck!" So, we cleaned them up, cleaned ourselves up and cleaned whatever else got in the way at the time. Then, for the next five hours, it all happened simultaneously - literally. Connor would start, then Andrew, then myself; then Andrew, myself, Connor - every half hour, for the next five hours. Keith was flabbergasted. He just looked at me and said, "What the heck is going on here? I've never seen anything like this!" All I could do was feebly lift my head up and say to him, "It must be a virus." I helped as best I could with the boys all the while getting sick myself. We called the Doctor around 11pm because we worried about the boys getting dehydrated. He told us some key signs to look for and wished us well. Thanks Doc.

Saturday morning was relatively calm. I felt like a mack truck had run me over so I can't even imagine how the boys were feeling. The Doc called to check on us. He was mostly concerned about Andrew because of his age. We told him he ate once around 5am and was able to hold it down which the Doc thought was great. Connor was holding his own too. We thought we were in the clear.

The next few feedings with Andrew didn't go so well. He couldn't hold anything down again. He seemed lethargic and his mouth was getting dry, one of the major signs of dehydration the Doc told us to watch for. So around 1pm we called the Doc again and she told us to bring him in to the Children's Hospital ER to have him checked out and possibly pumped with fluids. Eeek!

So we packed everyone up and headed up to Raleigh. We waited an hour but while in the waiting room I fed Andrew because he was acting very hungry. He kept that down and actually perked up a bit. We got in to see the Doc, she asked some questions and said she wanted to see if he would eat again and keep it down and then we would go from there. Obviously the last thing they would want to do is stick our little guy with IVs so they wanted to make sure he was hydrated before letting us go. Andrew ate again and was back to his usual smiling self within the hour.

So four hours later, we were on our way home, exhausted but much better. The real task was still ahead of us though. We had used up almost all of our towels and clothes due to the many 'accidents' the night before. I couldn't even wrap my head around how much wash and cleaning up there was to do and I still had work to finish for the week. So while I finished working, Keith put the boys to bed and started the daunting task of cleaning up and doing wash. We went to bed around midnight and when I got up Sunday morning Keith was still doing wash and folding laundry. And now here I am, able to sit in our clean, Lysoled house...and blog. Ha ha. So thank you Keith...for all you did for us this weekend. And happy 6 month birthday Andrew, sorry you had to spend it in an emergency room.

No comments: