Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Solids...

We started Andrew on solids a couple of weeks ago. I should be used to this by now but these mini-milestones seem to always catch me off guard. It just all happens so fast!

We started with the bland, organic rice cereal. This stuff doesn't smell good let alone taste good, I'm sure. The first time Keith fed it to him, he wasn't 'getting' it. He didn't understand that he needed to open his mouth. He would also put his head down as Keith put the spoon up to his lips. It was very funny to watch.


That weekend I started making the first of his vegetables. I started with sweet potatoes because they are very easy to make and freeze. That Sunday, we strapped him in his chair and got ready to feed him. By now, Andrew had pretty much gotten the hang of it. He knew that when Keith brought that spoon to his lips he needed to open his mouth. However, it was never open wide enough to get a good bite in. Then came sweet potatoes... The first taste of that sweet potato on his tongue and he couldn't get enough of it. He opened his mouth as wide as we've ever seen it. In between bites, his little hands clenched into fists, his feet kicked, and he put his lips together and 'Mmmm-Mmmm-Mmmm'ed' for more. Keith couldn't get it into his mouth fast enough.


Several spoonfuls later, Keith just looked at me and said "Do I just keep feeding it to him?" By this point, Andrew had eaten more than he's ever had before. It was pretty obvious that as long as Keith kept feeding it to him, he would keep eating it. He seemed to be enjoying it so much though that I said, "Sure, why not?" Little did I know that the next day I would reflect back to this moment and kick myself. I'll definitely spare everyone those details though...

So the next day at breakfast, I get out the trusty rice cereal. I sit down and get ready to feed Andrew. He starts his "Mmmm-Mmmm-Mmmm-ing," fist clenching, legs kicking routine. I put the first spoonful in his mouth and I get the biggest sour puss face I have ever seen. His nose scrunched up, his shoulders sagged and he spit it right back out. He gave me this look like, "There is no way I'm going back to this stuff!" He was not a happy camper...



No comments: