Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Caved...

Since January and the beginning of our sicknesses, the TV has been our friend, a very good friend. I mean, what else do you do with sick kids? It's easy to turn on, it holds their attention, and it doesn't use energy that they just don't have when they're sick. It got us through many days in January and February.

Last week, I instituted a 'no TV' policy for Connor. I was tired of him handing me the remote and whining if it wasn't on. It was cute at first, but then I realized that he would prefer Sporticus, Rotten Robbie, and Blue over hanging out with us. At first, I was kind of lost myself. There were certain times of the day that I would turn it on when I knew I couldn't give my full attention, such as when I was making dinner. The first couple of days were challenging but slowly Connor got used to not having it on and started finding ways to entertain himself. Wow, what a concept, a child entertaining himself without electronics! It started to become a game to me, a sort of challenge. I had visions of the boys running through fields hiding from 'Indians' or traipsing through creeks escaping 'pirates.' I dreamt that they had no idea what Wii or Nintendo was nor did they care because they were having too much fun doing old fashioned stuff like pretending.

So, today would've been one whole week without TV. However, it is now 4:44am, Connor has been up since 1am and I've been trying to get him to go back to sleep for the past 3 hours but he has now succeeded in waking Andrew up too. So here we all sit, watching Sporticus and Rotten Robbie...at 4:44am in the morning.

I caved.

No comments: