Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I Pulled a Mom...

I remember when I was young, I used to play across the street at my friend's house. Every day at some point my Mom would yell out our front door "Tiiiinnnnaaaa!!!!!!!!" I would know this was my cue for our afternoon nap or "rest" time. This continued on down the line with my brother and sister too. Wherever we were in the neighborhood, we could hear my Mom yelling for us. Once high school rolled around, (a.k.a. too-cool-for-parents-or-anything-family-like), I started to realize how loud she actually was and ultimately, how embarrassing this was! I remember we used to look at each other, roll our eyes and say, "Mom, Jeez, not so loud!" She would just look at us and say "Oh, was that loud?" and just laugh.



Yesterday we were on a play date at our community center. They have a beautiful new gym and twice a week they have toddler time. They open it up, throw a bunch of balls in there and let the kids run wild. It also gives the Moms a chance to socialize, which is always nice. Since it's been raining for the past four days it was nice to have a place to go to let Connor run around. We met up with my friend who has kids the same age as Connor and Andrew. Connor was continually drawn to the fire extinguisher in the corner of the gym. I ran over there a few times to tell him no. My friend suggested rolling the strollers in front of it to deter him. It worked...until he found the other fire extinguisher all the way across the gym in the other corner. I had just sat down with Andrew and was, quite frankly, tired of running after him. Without even thinking, I yelled, "Connnnoooorrrr!!!" He whipped his head around, looked at me, and moved away from the extinguisher. My friend looked at me and said, "Wow, now that's impressive!" I was actually pretty impressed myself. However, in the meantime I realized that the rest of the gym also grew pretty quiet. Balls stopped bouncing, Moms stopped chatting, and all heads were turned towards me. It probably only lasted a couple of seconds but it felt much longer. Driving home, I thought to myself, "Wow, I pulled a Mom today...and it worked!"



So thanks Mom, for passing on those hearty lungs of yours. I can't WAIT until Connor and Andrew get to experience that when they're teenagers!

P.S. Happy St. Patty's Day!!

No comments: